visit one: we are knocking on doors in a large apartment complex and Elvira opens the door. "We're not interested in changing religions," she says. Her husband, Parim, in the background hears our accent and starts crying in the background: "AMERICANS!?!?! Comeincomeincomeincomein!" He explains (in perfect Italian) how they come from Albania and, given how much "our country" has done for "their country," his door is always open to Americans. He's not as interested in our religious message, but we're welcome to come back and talk to his wife, Elvira. Elvira spoke flluent English when she came to Italy 18 years ago (aka she translated SHAKESPEARE and BURNS), but has since lost some. She likes that we talk about families, and we are always welcome back. Home movies of Albanian weddings are playing in the background (as they always are). But we turn it off, say a prayer and make sure to pray for their mothers, both who have some health problems. Parim's mom has cancer and comes from Albania for treatments. They are touched.
visit two: Elvira's at home with Parim's mom, in town for cancer treatments! She's a little old lady laying in bed, wrapped in a black shawl and can only speak Albanian. But she thanks us profusely for praying for her and her health. We hug and say another pray and cry and there's more home movies of Albanian weddings.
visit three: we arrive with an Albanian copy of the Book of Mormon and they happily usher us in. Parim starts chatting and we ask if we can share our message about the Book of Mormon. He says, "I respect you and if you ever want to come over and spend time with us, you are welcome, but we baptized our children Catholic and we're not looking to change." And Elvira interrupts and says, "Excuse me, I would like to hear more about this." And he RESPECTS her and says that if she wants to listen, then please. YES. In this family there is LOVE and RESPECT between the husband and wife. And the children LOVE their parents and they are HAPPY. Good job, respect and love between husband and wife, good job!
visit four: We go and teach Elvira about Joseph Smith and where the Book of Mormon came from. She confides in us some problems in her life and says, "I'm only telling you these things because I trust you." YAY TRUST AND LOVE! She also tells us how, growing up in communist Albanian there was NO RELIGION. Zero. Priests were shot, churches were raised or converted into government buildings. No concept of God. But she says how her mother always believed in "something." And when religion became legal again, her mother becamse quite religious. She calls her money almost every day and she says her Mom is always telling her to pray. "Pray for your children, pray for your husband. Pray for your work and for your friends. Pray for your enemies. When you wake up in the morning, the first thing you should do is pray and thank God for everything that you have! And ask him for everything that you need." Just goes to show. You can take the religion out of Albanian, but not out Elvira's Mom (I'm pretty sure that's an Albanian proverb).
visit five: We drop by in the evening. The boys are eating pizza and watching American Dad -- oooo, teenage boys in any country. We give the boys their own copy of the Book of Mormon and the youngest starts reading the introduction. Like any ten year old, he views it as a competition: "Ha ha, mom! I'm going to finish reading the first chapter before you!" Yes, Dennis, yes you are. We teach them what a pinky promise is and make them pinky promise to read the first chapter.
visit six: we bring over homemade focaccia (see note below) and they feed us Turkish delight. Parim jokes, "If I eat this focaccia, will I want to come to your church and join your religion?" The answer is no, but we do get him to stay for a five minute "spiritual thought," where we explain how the suffering and sickness we have in this life is temporary. This life is to learn from experiences, learn from good and evil, learn to make right choices. --WAIT-- says Elvira. "Can I turn off the Albanian wedding TV in the kitchen? It's making noice and I can't hear what you're saying." OF COURSE YOU CAN ELVIRA. We continue. Thanks to the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we will all be resurrected again with perfect bodies. If we accept the Atonement of Jesus Christ and act accordingly, we will be forgiven of all our mistakes in the past. We will live with our families and friends forever. Death is not the end. Sin is not the end. Parim is pensive -- you can tell he's thinking about his mother with cancer. Elvira tells us, "I love when you talk. It's like honey is coming out of your mouth!" Yes Elvira. Yes, that is God telling you that we are telling true things. Yaaaay!
I really feel that Elvira and her family are a part of my family now. I have been attached to my investigators before, but this is the first time I feel that it has really been reciprocated. I feel attached to them and involved in their lives and they feel the same about us. SO MUCH LOVE!
Other news?
I am also obsessed with perfecting my focaccia recipe that I learned from a member. I've miserably failed three times, but I think I got it the fourth time around. (see photo)
Today we are going to visit a place called "Ostuni" aka the White City. Supposedly the entire city is white. Hopefully they will have capitalized on Minas Tirith memorabilia. I hope to get my own copy of King Aragon's coronation speech!
Shout out to David Ruvalcaba! Thanks for your letter -- I will send a reply soon. Which in missionary/italy mail time might mean several months. But news about you and the boys and Jerry means a lot to me. Thaaaanks!
For anyone that reads Mormon scriptures: they are reprinting the Bible/Book of Mormon/Doctrine and Covenants/Pearl of Great Price with a new font! Cool!
Schpiritual thought? I read the New Testament this week! I just liked thinking about Jesus as a teacher, friend, son, person... and... well, I'm very far from that. But surely I have a direction and I feel like I can change and become like that with time. yes? Yes. (And don't call me Shirley!)
Anyway. Elvira and her fam send their love to YOU GUYS! We all love you veeeery much!
love
slla fuller
No comments:
Post a Comment