Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ben... Ben Kenobi?

(once again, a late and out of order posting. This was from March 13 - My apologies -Annie's Dad)

The sun is shining in Bari and I've finally taken off my leggings. HALLELUJAH!

Scho. This week we went to Taranto to switch companions for a day (also known as "exchanges." No relation to currency). I met a wonderful, wonderful girl named Stefania who is so depressed about her mother's death that she can't even hope for a better future. It makes me think about how destructive depression is... it attacks us at our very centers. Everything in our life can be going "perfectly," but if we are not right with ourselves, then it just all falls to pieces. Stefania is a beautiful, happy, young, intelligent, and talented young woman. And yet she is crippled by depression and can't move forward. But we are helping her to see that there is a Heavenly Father who loves her and has a plan for her. It takes a lot of work to direct someone without hope.

Language joke time! We have a new investigator named Benjamin from Nigeria. We were filling out the missionary records about him (where we keep track what we've taught him so when new missionaries come in, there's no confusion) and were trying to use fancy Italian "remote past" form. For the life of us, we couldn't remember how to say "know" in the remote past. We look it up... "Conobbe" (pronounce like Ke-no-be). Benjamin knew.... Benjamin conobbe.... Ben Conobbe! Bwhahaha! I know this is only funny to people who speak Italian. I'm sorry I'm one of "those" missionaries, but it brought me joy and hope it translates in some small way.

So, yes! We are now teaching Benjamin. We are continuing to teach Elvira and my love for her grows every day! Also, we have found a family that has just accepted us into their Italian, nicotine-stained bosom. We want to help them stop smoking and learn the gospel! They are on board on both accounts. We are excited.

Ah! Stupid short email! We had a great ward council meeting with our new bishop (local volunteer church leader) where he read a scripture in Revelations, describing the war in heaven between Michael the archangel and the followers of Christ and Satan/Lucifer. We talked about how all of us who are on the earth now are those who sided with Michael -- we had faith that Christ would come to the earth and save us. We trusted in Him more than we trusted in our own capacity to come to the earth on our own and figure it out. That means that everyone on the earth -- EVERYONE -- accepted Christ before this life, even if they have forgotten that thought and don't accept Him now. That's a comforting thought.

I wish I could just express how much I love the people here! This happened in Arizona and Sicily as well... whenever I think about them, I just get so excited and continue to ponder a million ways I can try and help them. I feel like real love inspires us to really think about people... think about how we can help, how we can lift them, how we can help them be their best selves. The more I feel this love for some people here, the more I wish I could feel it for everyone. There are still some people where this kind of affection doesn't come naturally. But I'm learning how to create it. If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them.

Sorry for the bad email. Next week --- better! Improvement is not just for sitcoms staring Tim Allen!

ok love you bye
sister fuller

No comments:

Post a Comment