This week has been great! Great great great! For many a reason.
We had Stake Conference (a large meeting in place of regular Sunday worship where all the members in an expanded area gather together for learning and talks and stuff). And Stake Conference was BOSS! So good. Our stake is the whole region of Puglia. The Stake President gave a talk on the beatitudes in Matthew 5. How those who are "poor in spirit" are those who are dependent on God. How those who "mourn" are those who feel sadness when they mess up and are really trying to do their best. He asked us if we had ever really HUNGERED after righteousness? And he asked us if we really are the peacemakers, or are we the people sitting in the back complaining and pointing out how other people are doing things wrong? He THREW FIRE and I feel like a better person because of it.
People in Italy are funny. I will explain how with a story I heard from an investigator.
---
Man and Bear used to be friends. They would do everything together -- play, eat, swim, and sleep. They were the best of friends and nothing could separate them.
One night, while they were sleeping in the cave, Man said -- not thinking -- "Can you move over? You smell like bear."
Bear was offended! And from nowhere he said, "Take your knife! Take your knife and cut my arm!"
"No," said Man. "You are my friend. I could never do that to you."
Bear insisted. "Cut it! Cut it!" Man refused, but Bear kept insisting, wearing him down. Finally, Man took his knife and cut Bear on the arm. Bear roared and ran away.
Man and Bear did not see each other for a long time, until several years later when their paths crossed. Man was overjoyed: "Bear! I've missed you so much! How is you arm?"
Bear said, "It healed just fine, thank you." And then coldly added. "But you remember when you told me I smelled like bear? That still hurts."
----
If you're like me, you think this story is strange and hystiercal. But it's how a lot of people are here! If you say one thing out of turn, they take it straight to the heart. I've been learning how much damage that can really do and how people can abandon something great (e.g. Man and Bear's FRIENDSHIP or the TRUTH LIGHT and KNOWLEDGE they have received directly from God) for an unkind word. They will trade their peace of mind for a grudge, and it's really sad.
The good news bears is that we've been helping some people overcome that this week. To remember why church was important to them and that small things like this aren't really the things that matter most. Sometimes we have to not look at how other people treat us. We have to rewind. And be kind. Even if people are jerks.
Otherwise, this week is good because we're seeing some more progress and WORK to be done! We've found two new families that are interested in our message and an exBuddhist who is very intrigued by the fact that God's plan is for us to become like Him. Meanwhile, we're still trying to explain what prayer is to people from Nigeria, China, and Serbia. Language barriers abound! Good thing God speaks all languages.
Shoutout to Axel Christman. I was reading the December 2012 Liahona and I saw you in it! Page 62! Check it out! :)
I love you al! Rewind, be kind!
Love y'all
Annie
P.S. The Pope resigned! Crazy, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment