Wednesday, July 31, 2013

In a small little house all covered with vines...

There were two little girls in skirt A-lines!

I have a new companion, Sorella Viazzo! She's fresh from the States and just pumped full of enthusiasm and jet lag. Poor thing, she's been trying so hard to beat the system (aka her body and the intense summer heat). But we're making great steps this week. Week 1: stay awake! Week 2: teach the gospel. Baby steps.

This week I'm learning more and more and more and more about patience. I think most of it has to do with the heat of the summer and the fact that progress takes time. I'm putting my whole mind/heart/strength/guts/mental faculties into this work, and at the end of the day... people just have to make their own decisions. And they have to do it in their own time. And the Lord also times certain things in his own time. This is frustrating. But, if I can learn to, as they say, "roll with the punches" and not get frustrated/annoyed, I think I'll have learned a valuable life lesson. I'll probably increase the quality and the length of my life. What is this? Not stressing is the key to longevity? Elixir of life!

Speaking of which, today is Harry Potter's birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HARRY!

We've decided to work on a new ward motto, to help increase enthusiasm in the ward and make sure we don't get trapped in an August slump (Italians usually take August off... from work, from religion, from any obligation). We've been thinking a lot about an old mission theme we had from President Kelly: Expect a Miracle (Aspettati un miracolo).

I like the ideas of miracles, a lot. A lot, a lot, a lot. It comes back to my love that God and religion aren't just these abstract things for stupid/poor/sad people. They are things that actually help real people in real life situations. Miracles aren't these abstract children stories from the Bible. They are things we see every day, evidences that God is doing SOMETHING with our lives to fulfill his purpose: make us smart, prepared children that can return to him, safe and sound. Children that have learned the lessons He's trying to teach us and become better for them. So this week, I want everyone to go look at a mountain or a baby and just wonder in the beautiful things that God has given us! And then think about all the experiences you've had in your life to make you the person you are today. If those aren't miracles/expressions of God's love, I don't know what is.

Okay, I'm going to try and attach some pictures, we'll see if it works. If not, I love you all and have a great week!

Look, we look like the same person! And we're eating Italian pizza!

signing off!
annie

No comments:

Post a Comment