Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Reporting for duty!


Hi!
 
P-days are on Friday! That won't matter for too much longer because... drumroll... I am officially here for three weeks!
 
How did I find out? It went something like this. After the Elders dragged my suitcases down the concrete, they took me to my host, Sister Noorda (my econ friend, serving in Singapore!). She specifically sought me out, which was wonderful to see a friendly face. Anyway, I get my name tag that has an orange sticker (indicates I'm new) and a green sticker (indicates I need to be tested for English proficiency. Heh heh, PSYCH! I already speak English.). But we go to my assigned classroom, where no one is a native English speaker. And I'm a little worried. Turns out, I've been put in an Advanced Language district--meaning I'm in the international branch with missionaries who speak their language well. For the most part, this is foreign missionaries who speak English and are going on English-speaking missions. It also includes English missionaries who speak their foriegn language already, such as my roommates, who are fluent in French and will be leaving for the Paris mission on Monday.
 
Long story short, I'm in the best district ever! My companion is Thai and the most adorable, humble missionary. Missionaries from my district also represent: Chile, Tonga, Mexico, Phillipines, Japan, and Greenland. That's right--if you didn't know it, there's only FIVE members of the church in Greenland and one of them is in my district. I feel like I'm back in Japan, where all my friends were Rotary students from around the world. I'm learning bits of Thai, practicing/stumbling over any Japanese I ever knew, and I'm determined to learn a little Danish.
 
Also--did you know they reserve front row seats for the international students during devotionals? Did you know that companions have to stay together at all times? If you're following my logic, you'll pick up that my district is the ticket to the hot seat.
 
AND, to make the pot even sweeter, this is the best time of the year to be in the MTC. They are training new mission presidents this weekend, meaning we'll have the entire Quorum of the Twelve and First Presidency here for some special sacrament meetings and firesides. Let's just say the planets seemed to have aligned for my MTC arrival. And departure.
 
Downside? I don't have any Italian language classes! Ha ha ha... ha? No, it should be fine. I've already met two sisters from Italy and several teachers, so we might be able to jerry-rig some practice sessions for me. I just got worried when I realized I didn't even know the Italian word for "atonement," which I'm told is a PRETTY important word here on the mission. So I'm doing some personal language study.
 
I like the MTC for what it is. It's this tiny microcosm of real life. We're all just buzzing around like bees (DESERET!) from building to building, until suddenly it's feeding time again. The meals are the oddest part because they're on such exact intervals (five hours apart--who gets exactly hungry every five hours?). But I can find things to eat. OH! Did you know they have caffiene free Dr. Pepper AND Mtn. Dew? I didn't even know that EXISTED! But no Blue Voltage....
 
Awight. Well, I love you guys a lot! Feel free to write dearelder letters to me, because--HEY--I'll only be here for three weeks total and you should take advantage of this short short time when I'm in your borders (unless you're in Europe then, GET EXCITED BECAUSE I'M COMING SOON TO A THEATER NEAR YOU!!).
 
Peace out,
Annie//Sister Fuller

No comments:

Post a Comment