Friday, November 1, 2013

I'm Going the Distance, I'm Going for Speed

Hi,

Guess what! I wrote in my journal this week! AND I brought it with me. So you are all in for a treat! Be prepared for random thoughts and things!

You know what I like learning? Languages! I've stopped bemoaning the fact that I'm not in a complete language immersion (between having an American companion and the fact that the ENTIRE ward of Ladispoli speaks English. At least five children in Primary under the age of nine are bilingual, it's nuts), and I've tried to improve my Italian as much as I can. Another missionary read me a letter from home in Portuguese, and it turns out I can understand a good part of it. Thanks Latin-based languages!

We met two Polish twins on the train (as opposed to just one Polish twin, or three of them). We were just chatting and then before we said ANYTHING they just said, "Hey, we should meet up some other time and talk more about these things. Can we give you our number?" Yes please!

I teach the advanced English course and I've learned that, no matter how old we get, we must NEVER LOSE OUR IMAGINATION! Our English program has us use situations to teach English (e.g. going to the supermarket, going to the mall). We often do "simulations" or role play, where we pretend that we're at the mall and practice conversations.

Some of the students just repeat the practice phrases. "Can I help you?" "Yes, I am looking for apples." "Oh, the apples are on aisle five." Poor guys. They've stifled the imagination they had when they were young. Instead, some kids really get into it. Personal favorites:

"Excuse me, can you show me where the drinks are?"
"Find it yourself. I don't want to work here anymore."

"Do you like this dress for your girlfriend?"
"This dress is too cheap. I am a rich man. I want to spend lots of money. Money money money money."

"Excuse me, someone spilled on aisle six."
"I am a shopkeeper, NOT a cleaner! I refuse to clean up this mess. Clean it up yourself."
"... But I'm the customer."

Hahaha. Good job, English course!

Life is hard, but the gospel makes it better. And laughing, and imagination!

Here's a great scripture I read this week, where Jesus encourages us to act and not just rest on our laurels:

"And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice and said unto him, 'Blessed is the womb that bare thee!' ... But he said, 'Yea, rather blessed are they that hear the word of God and keep it.'" Luke 11:27-28

I agree.

SHOUTOUT to Katie Delis! And Paul! Thanks for the little (and big) letters (or emails) of encouragement. They do help. I appreciate you!

PICTURES
...075: Hail to thee, Master Crumble! You kept our country out of war!
...076: We played "Minute to winit" games for family home evening. It included cookies and whipped cream all over our faces. Good times had by all.

love you all!
Sister FOOLer



No comments:

Post a Comment