Friday, November 16, 2012

(1) Sick (2) Olives and (3) The Most Important Things


Hello all,

Arright! This week:

(1) Sick (2) Olives and (3) The Most Important Things.

(1) I was a little under the weather (which might explain why my email last week was a little jumbled) and spent many, many hours sleeping it off this past week. I had the opportunity to ask our branch president (the local church leader) for a blessing of healing. (In the LDS church, all worthy men hold the priesthood and are able to give special blessings of heal, comfort and counsel). He said he would and we went by another member's house who would also participate. But when we showed up, there was a return missionary visiting that served in Mistretta four years ago, as well two other of our church members. Needless to say, it was a party (for Mistretta, 10 people is definitely a party). I was able to receive a priesthood blessing of healing from the branch president and the two other members and return missionary participated. And then I got a giant pot of honey that I was instructed to drink with herb tea until I felt better. Needless to say, I was a pretty happy missionary/Winnie the Pooh.

(2) It is olive gathering season here in Italy! We were invited by our branch president to go to their countryside lot and help gather olives. The process is thus: they lay giant nets on the ground and then climb the trees, combing through the branches with rakes until all the olives fall on the ground. Then we (the weak ones/missionaries in skrits) gather them in buckets. They will then be squished and made into oil. Great!

(3) Laying in bed a lot gives you some time to think. This was the first "break" I've really had since being on my mission. As missionaries we have time for meals, in the morning and evening to prepare, and a half-day to do shopping, write our families, clean, etc. But missionaries, for a year and a half to two years don't get a vacation day. Unless we're sick, we are working to teach, serve, and strengthen people in our area the whole time we're serving. Which. Is not a healthy way to live your entire life. Mentally, physically, emotionally... it's very natural to have hobbies and recreation, down time and social time, time with family and friends. And it's not that I don't miss those things. So why did I take a year and a half out of my life to focus soley on these things, leaving behind family, friends, yoga, Moab, world news, nachoes, and all the things that I love?

It's because that all of those things are great and they are wonderful, beautiful ways to fill my time. But when I am home -- sad and crying about a horrible day, or depressed and alone because everyone in my life is busy, or angry because I didn't do well at some random project --- it's not yoga or nachoes that give me lasting peace and comfort. It's not trips to Moab that tell me it will be ok. It's not world news that tell me WHO I am.

It's kneeling in prayer and speaking to my Heavenly Father. It's communicating with Him and trusting and knowing that He gives me answers. That He made me and thus knows me better than I know myself. And He can give me advice that I can trust.

I promise that He does. He speaks to us today, personally and privately. And that's why I've taken this year and a half. Because I have the rest of my life to perfect my yoga poses and learn how to kayak. But now I get to share with anyone who will listen how to access the same lasting peace and happiness that I have found. And that's the thing that is most important.

Thanks so much to Hayley Paul... I finally got both of your letters, delayed, because I live on an island of the sea and they don't believe in forwarding us our mail in a timley fashion. But I loved what you sent and I have faith in all that you do! You're inspiring!

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and love.

Peace,
Sorella Fuller

No comments:

Post a Comment