Hello all,
It's funny to see how one activity can work very well in one area and lousy in another. One of our newest activities to draw attention is "GESSO," which just means chalk. Maybe I already talked about this, I can't remember, but it's where we lay a sheet in a public piazza and just start drawing things about the Gospel that interest people. "What is the meaning of this life?" "Do we have any guidance today?" Things like that. Then people mosey on up and ask us what we're doing and we get to explain. It's nice because (1) people come to you and you don't have to hunt 'em down like a creeper and (2) it's the closest to being on a soapbox I'll ever get on a mission.
So we did it once in SANT'AGATA, but had little success. It's probably because (1) the town has a high population of Jehovah's Witnesses, and the people there seem generally suspicious of anyone walking around in pairs in Sunday dress and (2) a giant thunderstorm washed away all our chalk while we were drawing it.
The other time was in SANTO STEFANO, which is an "artsy" town known for its ceramics. Maybe that's why they were more intrigued in our "street art." But the gesso actually sparked a huge debate where one man came up and started yelling, saying we didn't believe in Christ and we were preaching dangerous things. But we didn't even have to say anything -- half the people there came to our aid. One woman, who is probably strongly Catholic, grabbed one of our pamplets and said, "Look, there's pictures of Jesus! And a family! Look how happy that family is! How can you say they are preaching bad things, look at that family!" Man, Italians are great.
And you could say they came to our aid because we're two American girls drawing on the ground. But I chalk it up to the gospel. OOOOOOHyeah.
Uh, what else? I've discovered a great new German cereal named Master Crumble. You can just tell from it's name that it's good. I may name a child after it one day.
The last thing I wanted to say was that I'm learning how I can't explain everything about this gospel. Wow, I can't really explain anything very well. And as a human being, I just have these HUGE GAPS of knowledge in any subject. As an individuals, and as humanity as a whole. So, for lack of anything else, I just live what I feel to be right. And I feel this is right. When I pray and read the scriptures and apply the lessons I know in my everyday life, I feel it's right. And when I mess up, I start over and try to apply them again. And I feel it's right. Past experience helps me translate that "feeling of being right" into a certainty that it's right. Not that I've lived very long, but I have a track record of a few years doing these things and I'm still going strong.
That's all I'm trying to help people to do. Is to help them find a life where they can feel is right. And then, with time, they can know it's right too.
I got wonderful letters from Emily Newman (BRAZZZZZZZZIL!!!!! baby) and David Ruvalcaba (thanks so much for printing my letters out for Jerry. HI JERRY!). Thanks for your examples. And thanks Mom and Dad for all yor love. Love you lots and lots!
PEACE
Sister Fuller
No comments:
Post a Comment